Medical Preparedness Program
We understand that the use of in-home medical equipment makes reliable electric service crucial to you. That's why we offer the Medical Preparedness Program to qualifying customers.
How it works
The Medical Preparedness Program is an outage preparation and notification program for customers requiring the use of electricity to operate medical life support equipment. In the event of a planned outage, you will be notified so you can determine if you can remain at your home or need to seek temporary accommodations elsewhere.
A physician must verify the patient's medical equipment needs within 60 days of enrollment and then every two years.
You may be eligible for this program if you meet the following conditions:
- The patient is using any of the following equipment in-home:
- Kidney/hemo/peritoneal dialysis equipment
- Infant Apnea monitor
- Feeding or infusion pumps
- Suction machines
- Oxygen concentrators
- Left ventricular assist devices
- The SRP account is enrolled in a residential price plan, excluding SRP M-Power®.
- SRP must receive two items within 60 days of enrollment: a completed Medical Preparedness Application completed by the customer and the prescribing physician, as well as a completed prescription slip.
How to get started
To enroll in the program immediately, please call SRP at (602) 236-8888.
Within the first 60 days of being enrolled, you will be required to download, print and complete the Medical Preparedness Program Application for Enrollment . You can also request the application to be sent to you via mail by calling SRP at (602) 236-8888 (outside the Phoenix area, call (800) 258-4777).
Your completed application and prescription slip can be sent to SRP via:
Medical Preparedness Program PAB370
P. O. Box 52025
Phoenix AZ 85072-2025
Fax: (602) 629-7909
SRP works hard to keep reliable electricity flowing to you and all our customers. However, summer storms, traffic accidents and other circumstances beyond our control can sometimes cause power outages.
Before an outage occurs:
- Learn how to replace blown fuses or reset circuit breaker switches in your home.
- Clearly mark the fuse or breaker that includes the life-support equipment.
- Place flashlights in handy spots - for example, near phones and in bathrooms.
- Keep important telephone numbers (local fire department, paramedics, police, hospital, doctor, relatives, friends, SRP, etc.) by the phone.
- Develop a contingency plan to move life-support equipment and the person who uses it in case of a power outage.
- Make sure you have a phone in your home that works even when power is disrupted to your home.
- Keep new or freshly-charged batteries on hand for equipment that has battery back-up.
- Consider obtaining an uninterruptible power source or a portable generator.
If the power goes off:
- Check with neighbors to determine if power is out in your area or just your home. If only your home is without electricity, please check the fuses or breakers before calling SRP.
- Call the appropriate emergency number or 911 if someone in your home requires immediate medical attention or needs transportation to a medical facility.
- Call SRP at (602) 236-9633 to report an outage or other electrical emergencies 24 hours a day.
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when using a generator.
- Only use generators in well-ventilated areas and always operate them outside. Gasoline-powered generators produce carbon monoxide, and the fumes can be deadly.
- Connect equipment directly into the generator using heavy-duty, properly grounded extension cords. Make sure extension cords are not frayed or worn.
- Never connect a generator to your building's wiring. Improperly connected generators can feed electricity back into the system, endangering the lives of workers trying to restore power.
For more information
If you'd like more details about or if you'd like to apply for the Medical Preparedness Program, call SRP Customer Service at (602) 236-8888 and a Customer Service Representative will help you. If you are calling from outside Maricopa County, please call (800) 258-4SRP (4777).
Add SRP to your emergency number list. You can report an outage or other electrical emergency 24-hours-a-day by calling (602) 236-9633.